Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 17:48:31 EST

> Ok, lets say that has happened. We have mice and keyboards with serial
> numbers that are unique.
>
> Right now, there is no way to bind a name to a device in the kernel.
> How would you propose we do this?

At that point we need PAM to know about multiple console sessions, we need
the console code to know about multiple sessions and we have to tidy up
some other loose ends.

In terms of name mapping Im assuming we just number them off. I dont see it
matters if a daemon does it, if we use static dev entries or devfs