Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 21:00:18 EST

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 11:53:35AM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:

> > UUID solves all the interesting cases.

> Actually, you want labels too: they're more friendly.

Not so many people actually use the possibility to mount by
volume label or UUID as it exists today. One of the criticisms
is that this is ext2-specific. So I wrote some stuff for arbitrary
filesystems. Clearly, in the general case, the label must live
outside the filesystem. Since there is no room in the partition
table either I made a Linux disk label that lives in disk sectors 1-3
(and either adds to or replaces the DOS-type partition table).

Kernel support has been available now for quite some time already
(I mean the blkpg stuff) but so far no-one has stated the desire
to actually use this.

> And you shall have them both. /dev/volumes is coming.

With what contents? Obtained how?

Andries