Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Brian Swetland (swetland@be.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 21:24:05 EST

[Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca>]

> > I see no reason why I need a filesystem on my mouse to get correct
> > naming for the device.
> >
> > I want mouse A to always be named mouse0, and mouse B to always be
> > named mouse1, EVEN if I connect mouse B in first. It should be named
> > mouse1 and mouse0 should be empty.
>
> So is there anything that distinguishes the two mice? Unique serial
> numbers, model numbers, whatever?

In the case of USB, you can certainly have a number of completely
indentical mice. Serial numbers are optional (the specs suggest
that they be unique if provided, but they are not required -- at least
not for HID devices). Bus topology is about all you have in some
cases.

Binding based on topology may be nice in some cases, but can really
suck in others (watch win98 prompt for the install CD when you move
a mouse from one port to another on a hub).

Brian