Re: EXT2 and BadBlock updating.....

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 03:21:38 EST

Guys,

When I started this thread, I had one thing in mind.
Can we have the FS <bi-directional communication> lowlevel block drivers (LBD)
do active feedback and update badblock tables during <the soon to be created>
callback for doing the re-seek and write verification. Regardless if the
hardware know JACK, the OS needs to know how to deal with a
block/sector/track/platter death.

We have covered that EXT2 does not allow for any LBD to query/update the
newly crapped out media location. Only calling user tools can help.

I am thinking of an active kernel skip table, but it needs to dump the
data to the disk and relearn this pattern if there is a need to bring the
system down for any other reason than to replace the media.

Thoughts??? Other than go back and hide in the LBD.........

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy