NexGen detection

From: Thomas S. Iversen (zensonic@diku.dk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 07:54:19 EST

Hello there

I've just obtained an NexGen P90 VLB based system. While I had no
real problems getting linux running on the machine there was
a cosmetic problem:

the checkCPUtype routine in head.S in linux identifies the processor as a 386.
While I - with proper documentation - can see why that happends you could
do a bit more in order to identify a nexgen chip using the CPUID
instruction.

One question though: if you do CPUID on a processor which doesn't support
it what happends? (Some early nexgens didn't support the CPUID). Mine
survives and displays itself as vendor_id: NexGenDriven in proc.

Any reasons not to make a patch which tries to detect a nexgen using CPUID?

Yours Thomas

Thomas S. Iversen
zensonic@diku.dk
Dept. of computer science - copenhagen, denmark.