Re: /dev/bus/... what? (Was: devfs - why not ?)

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 14:36:27 EST

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Dr. Kelsey Hudson wrote:
>That's solaris' way of definig a device:
(we know)

>controller 0

So, which controller is "controller 0"? (Yes, _I_ know where to find it
and even how to control it, but most -- _trained_ even -- admins don't.)

>i do agree with mr. cox here though; it is very inadequate. Something

Alan is talking about something far more complex. Have you ever dealt with
a large fiber channel array?

>/dev/bus/scsi0/id0/lun0/slice3

Oh good god no! See my original /devices/... floppy comment. (And, umm,
which one is "scsi0"? you don't have alot of controll of that under linux.
You have _some_, but far too little.)

>would be much more descriptive, and organized in a much simpler way, IMO.
(and one hell of a pain in the ass to type)

--Ricky