Re: devfs "instant replay" (Was: devfs - why not ?)

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 23:10:15 EST

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.04.10004141400010.23096-100000@beaker>,
Ricky Beam <jfbeam@bluetopia.net> wrote:

>Umm, would someone please enumerate _exactly_ what devfs brings to the table,
>what we're trying to "fix" and why?

    I'm not currently using devfs because the Linus-approved namespace is
    bad and I've not had the time to either (a) write the horrible kernel
    patch to make it look like a regular /dev or (b) spend the 20 minutes
    needed to figure out how to mount it somewhere else, but the reason
    *I* like devfs is that it gives me, in a clean and consistant manner,
    a list of the devices installed on the system that can be used as /dev
    without any number of horrid userland glue modules.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ I'm sure devfsd is a wonderful thing, but I hates
                   \/ it on principle.