Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 06:01:43 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Set points would be at 'login', cron/at (running as a user),
> r(sh,cp,login), and s(sh,..?). Implementation at user level
> would probably be in a pam library.

Please add httpd, sendmail/procmail, ftpd and dozens of other
daemons (most of which are not linked to pam, so this change
is certainly not transparent to userland).

Unless somebody volunteers to rewrite those daemons, it may
be best to keep the change transparent.

For logging we could probably use the session ID (can we,
more details on that seem to be in order).

For quota I think we should use the EUID. This is both
transparent and conceptually the "right" thing (if users see
a daemon run with a particular euid, they expect that system
limits are applied to that user).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.