Re: Non-standdard HZ values (patch)

From: Rickard Lind (rpl@dd.chalmers.se)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 06:46:39 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 07:08:39PM +0200, Rickard Lind wrote:
>
> > This patch makes it possible to use other HZ values (17-4096) than 20, 64,
> > 100, 1000 and 1024.
>
> Except that this doesn't really work. Each architecture has constant
> value for HZ that has also been compiled into applications. If you change
> the kernel value you'll also have to account for that by either recompiling
> your applications. Got plenty of time and source for all your apps? Ok ...
> The better alternative is to modify the system interfaces which return results
> in jiffies such as times(2) and /proc.
>
> Ralf

For me it's not really a question about user space. It's just that I don't
want the kernel source to limit my choice of HZ to a few standard values.

I use HZ=3125 to make ALSA output raw MIDI data at full speed on my SB32.

Applications like top and ps don't work as expected but gives a
warning: Unknown HZ value! (3125) Assume 100.

--
/Rickard Lind