Re: PCMCIA Network card on Thinkpad 390E

From: cumulus nimbus (cumulus_nimbus@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 02:16:47 EST

uhm, i'm no "expert" but i have solved these problems as i have run accross
them with my own computers, so maybe this info will help...

> > I have installed Redhat 6.1 on my notebook and am not having any joy
>with
> > getting my Silicom ethernet pcmcia network card to work.

instead of re-compiling my kernel, i kept the default kernel and went out
and got pcmcia-cs-3_1_13_tar.gz
followed the instructions for how to make the new modules and all was
automagically working after that.

> > I do not have a eth0 device in /etc, so have nothing to point the card
>to,
> > and have no clue how to create this device.
>
>in Linux, network devices are created in memory and are transient... if
>you use Red Hat, run the netcfg tool under X11... click on
>Interfaces->Add->Ethernet... then create the device, click Save, then
>click the eth0 device in the list, then click Activate...
>
>alternatively...
>
># ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.30 up

uhm, as far as i know, netcfg only configures existing ethX's or clones
their config files so that you can have multiple configs.
If you want to tell linux that ethX exists, you will want to check out
/etc/conf.modules

this is where aliases for kernel modules are listed
the ethX devices, as well as others are initially defined.

for example, my linux server at home would never be able to automagically
detect my ne2000 card but i know it works cuz i've tested it wih another OS
and i have the hardware I/O and irq details
my /etc/conf.modules file looks like this:

alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 ne
options eth1 io=0x300 irq=9
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

obviously more info than you need to know about my system, but i included
the rest to show that much is configured here.
notice all the options that are specified to help the loading of the kernel
modules.

> > Please help me.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David Jones