Re: FunKey: Discussion topic

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 10:55:25 EST

> Here's my further line of thought based on this opinion:
>
> * Not delivering strings for FunKeys means they're not visible over
> /dev/console.

I think that is a good thing. Because these keys have been reassigned
intentionally to do other magic.

> * To be able to process keystrokes that are invisible to /dev/console, a
> secondary keyboard device /dev/funkey is needed over which key strokes can
> be transmitted to a simple daemon.

Im not sure if the extra device is needed or not. The basic logic seems sound
as we want to pull these messages into gpm IMHO, since gpm already does the
mouse command dispatching for magic mouse bound commands. A device lets us
select on it.

I think you should look at the Input device work (currently only being
used by drivers/usb). That has scope to do this properly.