Help with insight on failed switch to INIT task...

From: Steven J. Hill (sjhill@cotw.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 07:07:46 EST

Greetings.

I am currently porting the kernel to an ARM development board and have
succesfully got things working (as far as I can tell) to the point where
the serial console is printing out lines from 'printk', it gets all the
way to where it succesfully mounts a ramdisk using 'initrd' and the dies
inside 'flush_old_exec' specifically in the call to 'exec_mmap' where the
switch to the newly allocated page tables for the '/sbin/init' process
takes place. This is done in the call to 'set_pgd' which loads the base
page table register with the physical address of the new page table as
well as flushing the TLB. However, if I comment out the TLB flush and just
load the new page table location, things proceed just fine and crash further
down when trying to actually map in the ELF file. Could someone give me
insight into why this might be acting this way? I have posted to the ARM
mailing list also, but I felt that this was a general enough question. TIA.

-Steve

--
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer
 Public Key: 'finger sjhill@mail.cotw.com'