Re: loopback blockdev deadlocks -- explained?

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 12:21:34 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 05:29:11PM +0100, Steve Dodd wrote:

> I'll happily admit to not understanding the intricacies of the request
> mechanism -- particularly threading and reentrancy issues. I think I need to
> go through the code again and make some notes :-/ Do you have any hunch as to
> what _is_ causing the loop device deadlocks?

No, but I know how I'd go about searching. Use the SGI kdb debugger
code. Once you hit the deadlock, break out into the debugger. That
not only lets you take a backtrace of whatever code is executing at
a given point in time, it also lets you take a backtrace of any
sleeping process. Run "btp <pid>" on any of the processes stuck on the
loop device and you'll soon find out where they are blocked at least.

--Stephen