Re: Trying to use TEQL

From: Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 14:15:50 EST

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Ivan Passos wrote:

> For the route configuration, I understand, but for the _interface_ itself,
> I don't know how this would work ...
>
> In this case I have two synchronous PPP interfaces (or two Cisco HDLC
> interfaces, or yet each of the interfaces running one of these protocols).
> How am I gonna have these links up without the IP configuration??

Indeed, current PPP doesn't not allow for ip-less interfaces. But as you
said, the important part is not having routes through the physical
interfaces. I know pppd (or the kernel) will create those routes
automatically, you need to delete them manually or in the ip-up script.

When I did the same thing with two async PPP interfaces (2 modems), I
initially gave them the same IP address and also gave the same IP to the
teql interface. That worked fine, except gated wasn't very happy about it
so I ended up changing the IP addresses on the interfaces to things like
10.0.0.x. It didn't matter anyway since no routing was involved, the only
peculiar aspect of all this was that 10.0.0.x was appearing in the
traceroute output.

> One more question. Actually your suggestion sounds very good, if I were
> able to do:
>
> # route add 110.0.0.1 dev teql0

And you should definitely be able to do that. But first you need the teql0
up and configured with an IP address.

> In this case, teql0 would receive the packets to be sent to 110.0.0.1 and
> it would be able to decide through which of its bonded interfaces it would
> send the packet.

Right.

> But ... how do I configure this routing through the teql0 interface
> without attibuting an IP address to it?? Do I _need_ to attribute an IP
> address to it??

Yes. Absolutely.

> If I try it without attributing an IP address to it, it
> says "SIOCADDRT: no such device".

Which makes sense, an interface without an IP address is essentially an
interface incapable of handling IP traffic.

> Yes, I tried 'ifconfig teql0 up' and
> then run the route command, but it still gives the same error msg.

You need an IP for teql0.

> Thanks for your help so far! :)

You're welcome. :-)

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.