Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 15:52:45 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:

> orc@pell.portland.or.us (david parsons) said:
>
> [...]
>
> > I'd think it would be somewhat better to patch devfs so that it can
> > only be mounted once (as a quick fix to the technical issues that
> > are now being mentioned; if there are other technical issues with
> > the current devfs they'll become more visible when Al Viro isn't
> > fretting quite so much over the multiple-mounts thing) and do a
> > purely user-mode hack to devfsd to fake multiple mounts.
>
> How would you do that? You can't symlink out of a chroot jail.

     If it was up to me, and I stress that would be a TEMPORARY solution
     until devfs receives the Viro Seal of Good Racekeeping, would be to
     simply have devfsd mknod()/unlink() the devices in the jails -- this
     requires major and minor numbers, of course, but the vast bulk of
     the Linux world still uses them so it's probably not any more of
     a showstopper than having to use devfsd in the first place.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ just mount it on /devices and have your devfsd
                   \/ populate /dev in the traditional Solaris way.