Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Olaf Dabrunz (1dabrunz@informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 16:58:41 EST

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 12:09:39PM -0500, Bill Wendling wrote:
> Also sprach Jan-Simon Pendry:
> } Bill Wendling wrote:
> } >
> } > Well, another reason not to use ASCII is cause many people in the world
> } > use characters not found in between 0x00 and 0xff.
> }
> } in the kernel? could you give an example of such non-ASCII usage?
> }
> Perhaps not now, but in the future, maybe? I just don't think we should
> place restrictions on things...

I18N encodings do not use 0x00 or 0xff. They need to be compatible with the
"string" and "EOF" notions in the standard C library. See Ken Lunde's book for
more.

Text interfaces that are meant to be human readable and parseable by programs
at the same time should not use multiple languages. Just think about who is
going to maintain the parsers. This would either cause parsers to be broken
most of the time or there would be many localized versions which then get out
of sync rapidly.

Olaf.