Re: POSSIBLE SMP KERNEL BUG ?

From: bug1 (bug1@netconnect.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 02:14:37 EST

Jon wrote:

> I'm in the process of trying to setup a rackmount server to host my new
> linux website on. I'm having (pardon my language) a sh*tload of problems.
> Namely, anytime I try and use a SMP enabled kernel I get a kernel panic. I
> can't figure out the problem. I've tried 2.2.14, 2.3.99-pre3,
> 2.2.12-20smp(rpm), getting the same error with different numbers. I don't
> know if this is a hardware problem or a software problem(Kernel bug maybe?).
> Nobody has been able to help me at all, and I've been re-compiling,
> re-installing, and re-configuring for roughly 20 hours over about 3 or 4
> days. Nothing seems to work. I _had_ it working with 2.2.14 for about 5
> minutes (I saw both cpu's in /proc/cpuinfo), but when I rebooted again I got
> the same kernel panic error.

The first hurdle i had to get over with my dual celery bp6 is that i had
to stop the hwclock being initialised on boot. On my debian system when
//etc/init.d/hwclock.sh runs it locks the machine.

This sounds like a different error to yours though, as you say you got
it working for about 5 mins, thought id mention it anyway.

Glenn McGrath