Re: namei() query

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 03:02:42 EST

   Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:05:26 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>

   Ewwww... Yes, it would work, but this is ugly as hell. Mixing user-
   and kernelspace pointers is sometimes the only way to do things,
   but it's about as lovely as abusing union to transform double into
   int[2] and back. In case of namei() it is _not_ needed -
   lookup_dentry() does the job just fine.

I know that, I was attempting to let him the reason why it was failing
which is entirely different from telling him what he should be doing.

You told him the latter, but I find it quite as useful for him to know
precisely why it failed in the first place.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com