Re: [patch] repost of netfilter/NIPQUAD patches

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 03:53:09 EST

> addrstr_t is sufficient if it's large enough to accommodate the
> printable representation of all addresses.

Which is rather large. AF_UNIX allows 108 bytes, although I think this
is really the maximum. But it is sub-optimal to pepper the kernel
stack every here and there with >100-byte buffers.

> printk() has to be in every kernel, and you don't want to have all
> this address formatting code inside it, do you? ;) (You can't make it
> a compile-time option because modules won't work properly.)

Okay, I'll buy that, although that gut feeling is telling me it must
be possible somehow to implement this dynamically (Object.toString(),
anyone?)

But I just found another, more severe reason against printk: gcc
woudln't know how to check the new types.

Olaf