Re: memory handling in pre5/pre6

From: Lech Szychowski (lech.szychowski@pse.pl)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 04:23:42 EST

> The nightly cron jobs which ran at 04:00 on your machine scanned the
> whole file system, so filled up the buffer and page caches.

No, it did not. I've commented updatedb out of crontab quite
a long time ago :)
But yes, you are pretty close: I have incremental backup
scheduled at 8 am every day.

> This does not say anything about the swapping, I'm just letting
> you know where the free memory went to and why :-)

I think I will run "find -type f -exec cat {} > /dev/null" on my
NFS-mounted directory as soon as I can reboot my machine and
leave it without X running.

--
	Leszek.

-- lech7@pse.pl 2:480/33.7 -- REAL programmers use INTEGERS -- -- speaking just for myself...