Re: Are you all aware that there was a slight drop in performance in going from pre3 to pre5?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 06:24:11 EST

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Jeff, anyone on the list know what code/author is the reason why Jeff is
> > > seeing more calls to d_lookup?
> >
> > It's not necessarily bad. I'ld love to look at the whole picture - right
> > now the whole lookup mechanism is in the middle of a sequence of changes
> > and timings definitely _will_ change several times before it will settle
> > down. Jeff, care to email the results of profiling you've got?
>
> Care to describe what you are doing/planning, is this the knfsd work in
> progress?

        Sorry. Slightly more fundamental stuff and it interacts with knfsd
patches. What happens right now is the switch to new architecture for
mount-related stuff and lookups. It's almost VFS-only, with some
exceptions; knfsd being one of them. knfsd stuff will go as soon as that
crap will be past the critical phase - table of exports and first steps of
fhandle to dentry conversion are seriously affected by mount stuff and as
soon as that will be in we will be able to get fhandle_to_dentry() into
the tree.
        ObReiserfs: what about readdir() vs. rebalancing and friends?