Disk caching

From: Michael T. Babcock (mikebabcock@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 05:47:12 EST

I was wondering if the Linux kernel's disk cache algorithms take into
account caches on specific devices, whether the hard drives or a raid
controller.

For example, if I have three drives connected to my computer, two of
which have 4M caches on the drives and one of which does not, would it
not make more sense for the kernel to bias drive caching to the drive
with no on-drive cache and allow that additional 8M of cache space to be
used effectively?

In reality, I'm using a DPT RAID V Century controller with 16M of
on-board ECC RAM and will be upgrading that in the next few months.
Will memory that could be used more effectively elsewhere be wasted by
the kernel on caching drive accesses that are already cached on the
RAID controller?

Is this considered at all, or is the simplicity of cache maintenance a
better priority than handling odd cases?

--
       -=+0+=-< Michael T. Babcock >-=+0+=-