Re: Are you all aware that there was a slight drop in performance in going from pre3 to pre5?

From: ying@almaden.ibm.com
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 10:43:33 EST

If you care about, I have some profile info with Netbench on various Linux
kernel versions, as well as some SPEC SFS profiles.
d_lookup, lookup_dentry were the ones that got relatively high CPU counts.
Here is one with pre5 kernel runing on
a 4-way Dell poweredge with one Alteon gigabit card and 60 clients.

Besides the potential performance problems, I also saw lots of error
messages with Netbench tests. The Netbench errors
seem to have a fixed pattern. That is, the errors mostly occur on
Netbench's file rename and delete operations. Unfortunately,
I don't have access to the Netbench source to check on what kind of errors
they are. But this does make me feel suspicious about whether
there is something happened with the file system on Linux. I tried the same
thing with pre3 and 2.3.51, I saw more of
this kind of errors with them than with pre5. I have not tried even
earlier versions though. There is nothing wrong happened on the Linux
server side. So, I don't really have a good idea as to what caused the
problem, except for some guessing.
Also, I don't know if the problem would repeat with other benchmarks, like
SPEC SFS. I have not tried myself.

(See attached file: jbods_pre5_c60)

Here is a SPEC SFS profile with 2.3.35 running on a 2-way Intellistation.
Sorry, I don't have any newer profiles with SPEC SFS.
But my guess is that the profile would not change much. At least this has
been the case with Netbench.
(See attached file: specsfs3100iops_linux2335smp_nosync_nfs2_18c.prof)

Hope this would be useful.

Ying

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>@vger.rutgers.edu on 04/18/2000 01:13:02
AM