Minor bug in kernel-messages-buffer reading

From: Achim Flammenkamp (achim@uni-bielefeld.de)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 11:57:09 EST

Hi

I like to indicate a minor bug in the 2.2.14 kernel (related to klogd?).

Because I have patched this standard kernel with the software-raid-0.90-patch
(meanwhile also with the agpgart-0.99-patch and the usb-backport-patch from
2.3.50) lots of output is generated by the kernel at boot time. Far more
than 16 kB. Therefore I have set the corresponding #define KERNEL_MESG_LEN in
printk.c to the value (1<<15) and rebuilt my kernel.
It appears that only the very first 16kB of the kernel-message buffer are
written into /var/log/boot.msg by the kernel-log-daemon. The reaminder
seems to be writen into /var/log/messages (I haven't searched for this feature
in the kernel sources). The first time only the first byte of this remainder
was missing in /var/log/messages, but after apllying the other two patches,
several (about 5-8) bytes of the kernel-message-buffer are missing which should
be at the beginning of /var/log/messages (or at the end of /var/log/boot.msg ?).

Regards,
achim

--
Achim Flammenkamp         FSP Mathematisierung          Universität Bielefeld
UniversitätsstraBe 25       33501 Bielefeld          Federal Republic of Germany