Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 16:23:53 EST

On 18 Apr, Robert Dinse wrote:
+-----
| On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
| > no-strict-aliasing is documented. You should remember that gcc is a GNU
| > program, also with old unmaintened man pages and the documentations put in
| > 'info pages'. (This is due to the GNU manual policy)
|
| The documentation states that the option -fstrict-aliasing is not invoked
| for any optimization levels because it is new and relatively untested. Since
| the default is not to invoke it, why include -no-strict-aliasing?
+--->8

Because in gcc-2.95.0 the default was to enable it always. It was
rapidly discovered that it broke a *lot* of code, so in gcc-2.95.1 and
later the default was changed to disabled.

--
brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery@ece.cmu.edu