Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: Florian Weimer (fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 15:25:58 EST

pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil (Jesse Pollard) writes:

> > Also this "feature" forbid some program to run,
> > program using nested functions like lisp / ada program are some exemple.
>
> Neither LISP nor Ada requires execution on stack.

It's true that Ada implementations can use obscure techniques to avoid
trampolines for nested subprograms. But the GNU Ada Translator uses
trampolines (actually, it's a feature of the backend, and you can use
GCC trampolines with most frontends, including the C frontend).

Last time I checked, the non-executable stack patch detected properly
gcc 2.8.x trampolines, but not those generated by GCC 2.95.2.

Anyway, it's slightly amusing that a kernel patch which aims for
improved security may eventually stop Ada programs from running.