Re: namei() query

From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 08:21:26 EST

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > >From our measurement using notorious Mindcraft-like web-benchmark,
> > Apache issues tremendous number of sys_newlstat() to check the
> > requested path not including symbolic links. Which causes most of
> > kernel functions locked-out by the lock.
>
> Apache isnt designed for speed, its designed for flexibility. Its
> probably much more interesting to profile something like thttpd,
> although that currently isnt threaded.

You can get rid of all the lstats by doing:

<Directory />
Options FollowSymlinks
</Directory>

and making sure that isn't overrided further up.

Also make sure that you don't have an

AllowOverride AuthConfig

or it'll go hunting for .htaccess files.

There's a highperf.conf (or something) in the Apache source
distribution which documents tweaks like this.

Matthew.