Re: IDE/ATAPI

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 09:41:34 EST

[stripping linux-smp since horribly off-topic there]

* Joe (josepha48@yahoo.com) [000418 22:48]:
> I am curious why Linux uses a generic IDE/ATAPI for almost all
> cdroms (IDE/ATAPI) and Windows requires new drivers or seperate
> drivers for each drive?

Since ATAPI is an amendment to ATA (ATA Packet Interface), and ATAPI is
pretty well standardized, that's fine. I assume Windows drivers are
there to circumvent firmware bugs and to bring the vendor's name on the
screen.

> If a cdrom is IDE/ATAPI is this a standard and if so why do some
> IDE/ATAPI drives work better than others?

A matter of product quality. There's always good stuff and less good
stuff.

> Also is it normal for a 32x or 52x cdrom to make noise when it
> spins up? I had a 32x and it seems to be dead now, and now I
> have a 52x and both sound like little turbines every time they
> spin up. Is this normal?

Get drives with long warranty periods, if you seem to be unable to get
one, try a SCSI CD-ROM drive (as a big plus, there are drives that are
not 52x but only 32x) with a cheap SCSI card such as Symbios Logic,
Tekram, DawiControl or something. These cards are EUR 30,- and up in
Germany (EUR 50,- for booting cards), the drives around EUR 75,- (Teac
CDR532S) and up. Find out if you have the slots for the SCSI adaptor
and if you want to give it a try. As to my experience, SCSI stuff is
usually smoother, particularly in respect to CPU load.