Re: OS Masters

From: Luuk van der Duim (l.a.vanderduim@student.utwente.nl)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:11:35 EST

Mel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Mel Gorman. I'm currently studying final year computer systems
> in University of Limerick, Ireland. I have the opportunity to study a
> masters (2 years) in the college next year on operating systems and the
> direction of the masters is largely up to myself. Ideally, I will be using
> Linux as a base. Before I start though, I should mention though that;
>-8<------ [not a kernel hacker etc. && have no time at all.] ----8<-----
>
> I took a look through the FAQ and the archives but didn't see much in the
> line of what needs to be done next. I'm looking for a list or even
> pointers to discussions on what needs to be developed in the kernel that
> would be long term and would be suitalbe for a masters - muliple goals are
> welcome. Of the top of my head and from asking my local LUG, I got
>
> --8<-- [ Lot of ideas.. ]----
>
> 6. Strip down the kernel to act as only a firewall/router making it as
> lightweight as possible. Would allow a headless box to be turned into a
> firewall or possibly a router easily.

I believe this has been done before. (though perhaps you could do
better?)

> 7. Someone suggested implemented the BeOS filesystem to have a multimedia
> ready file system for Linux - I'm not definite if this has been done
> already or not
>
> So, if anyone has suggestions on things I could start researching into and
> trying to implement, I'd highly welcome them as well as comments on the
> above idea.. Bear in mind, I'll have to get my degree first (2 months)
> before I get to look in detail but I'm starting discussions with my
> college now on what could be researched so any information you can provide
> is helpful.

Linus once joked to someone who suggested porting the kernel to c++
and/or stop yelling at one and another on this list that we might as
well rewrite the kernel
in Java. :-)

There is a user-space kernel already, perhaps you could port it to Java
that would be another platform that has Linux running on it.

IMHO I reply:
But seriously, if you really want to improve Linux as it is today, just
ask one of the maintainers of an area you are interested in for work and
they will probably have enough for you. (For instance, I have seen quite
some challenges at Rik van Riels page. Perhaps Rik solved all problems
by himself since I visited that page,
don't know.)

Luuk.