Trying to get OOPS debugging connection working over serial null modem cable.

From: Miles Lane (miles@speakeasy.org)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 04:34:54 EST

On my test machine, I have set up lilo.conf including these entries:

        serial=0,9600n8
        image=/boot/vmlinuz
                append="console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0"

Here are my /dev entries for ttyS0, console and tty0:

        crw------- 1 miles root 5, 1 Apr 20 01:14 /dev/console
        crw--w--w- 1 root root 4, 0 Apr 20 01:02 /dev/tty0
        crw------- 1 root tty 4, 64 May 5 1998 /dev/ttyS0

I deleted /etc/ioctl.save before booting lilo for the first time
with the serial console entry per the instructions in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt.

I have connected the test machine and my debugging machine
with a serial null modem cable (9-pin female to 9-pin female).
I have modems using ttyS1 in both machines, so I am using
/dev/ttyS0 to exchange data between the machines.

I am running minicom on the debugging machine and have specified
that it using 9600,n,1 on /dev/ttyS0.

The problem is that I am getting no kernel messages showing up
in minicom. I have an OOPS that I want to capture on the debugging
machine. The dump is quite long and since the crash only gives
me what I see on the screen, I really need this serial connection
working.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

        Miles