what signal is used when overcommit occurs?

From: Michael Richardson (mcr@solidum.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 19:03:18 EST

  I believe that I may have a compute server that is experiencing
overcommit. I can't be sure, because I don't have top output at the
exact time that random processes die. I haven't seen anything
on the console (well, dmesg) about it. The processes die with SIGINT,
and are often memory hungry. It never seems to happen under the debugger!

  From what we can tell, they'd like around 160Mb. We have 256M ram
and 512Mb swap configured (2.2.12). But, I can't guarantee that there aren't
several of the running, as this is a multiuser compute server.

  These processes use a lot of stack as well, but we've adjusted our
ulimits, etc. as well and that usually results in SEGV.

  To recap:
        1) what signal is used?
        2) is anything logged?

   :!mcr!: | Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
        mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca mailto:mcr@solidum.com