Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 09:20:09 EST

R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff) said:
> Horst von Brand wrote:
> > R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff) said:

> > [...]

> > > As we've come to the conclusion that a devfsd is a necessity, the
> > > "extra" deamon cannot be considered a problem. Moreover, this is just
> > > a "at boot time" thing that needs to run. You get back your process
> > > slot once it is done.

> > Nope. Think hot-plugging.

> Ok. Agreed. So we'll have to implement a way to kick the deamon when a
> hot-plug happens. (running it from cron doesn't cut it: too slow.)

I'd go for a combination like kmod + modutils here.

OTOH, you _can_ just create all necesary entries in /dev beforehand, and if
you access something you'll find out soon enough if it is there or not.
Works now, no assembly required.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl