Doubled times on Athlon 2.3.99-pre5

From: Eric Buddington (snikt@resounding.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 11:13:40 EST

My Athlon/700 (2.2.99-pre5) seems to be counting process time 2x too
fast; on a CPU-bound process, user time will be double real time
(and this is, of course, a single processor).

e.g. times from "time ./nbench":

-----------------
real 2m9.995s
user 4m19.960s
sys 0m0.040s

I am also seeing strange delays on login, where /bin/login sends to UDP
port 111 (which has nobody listening), then times out waiting for a
reply (several times). On 2.2.99-pre5 on a PIII/550, /bin/login gets
a ECONNREFUSED immediately. I have no particular reason to think they're
related, except that they both appear only on the Athlon and not on
the PIII.

All kernels compiled with gcc-2.95.2.

I am willing to test patches if that is useful.

-Eric Buddington