Re: Magic sys-rq key - how ?

From: Alan Curry (pacman-kernel@cqc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 14:56:04 EST

Paul Barton-Davis writes the following:

>what else do I need apart from
>
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
>
>to get the magic sysrq key to work ? none of the last 4 kernels that
>I've built have had a working sysrq key, and its getting to be a
>problem.

The answer is /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq and it's been given already, but I have
a followup question: why? In early 2.2 you could say Y to sysrq in config,
and you had sysrq. Then someone added an extra hurdle in /proc. So now we
have this mechanism by which you can get the kernel to do a few things even
when userspace is hosed, but it's only good if you can
echo 1 >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq first. What good is that?