Re: Magic sys-rq key - how ?

From: Thomas Dodd (ted@cypress.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 16:40:49 EST

Alan Curry wrote:

> Paul Barton-Davis writes the following:
> >to get the magic sysrq key to work ? none of the last 4 kernels that
> >I've built have had a working sysrq key, and its getting to be a
> >problem.
>
> The answer is /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq and it's been given already, but I have
> a followup question: why? In early 2.2 you could say Y to sysrq in config,
> and you had sysrq. Then someone added an extra hurdle in /proc. So now we

The SysRQ functions needed to be controlable.
So the /proc interface was added.

Then someone (Linus?) decided it should be
OFF by default (for security?).
Like other nice features, it's safer
to have them off, and turned on when
you know you want them on. You could always
edit the code, and have it on by default.

        -Thomas