Re: sysrq is ON by default [Re: Magic sys-rq key - how ?]

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 15:04:06 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > So sysrq is active until some code (such as init script) disables it.
>
> I agree but the point is the air is not clear at all, and one cannot
> assume that the magic sysrq key is enabled by default.

It is clear. Our context is the kernel. What userland does is completely outside
the scope of this. <snide remark> But then if RedHat turned it on by default then
"It is on by default" </snide>

^-- :)

> For higher security levels (for distros which have security levels
> anyway), Magic SysRq, Ctrl-Alt-Del and similar things should be
> disabled.

I certainly agree that some functions of the magic key should be restricted. Sync
is one I feel should always be allowed.

-d