Re: [RFC] Flat /lib/modules/`uname -r`

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 19:45:04 EST

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> * modprobe needs to be updated whenever a new /lib/modules/`uname -r`
> directory is added or third party code is installed.

> All things considered, the cons outweigh the pros. In particular the
> need to update user space (modprobe) whenever a new modules/...
> directory is added is annoying and guarantees version skew.

This is only partially true. Two lines in /etc/conf.modules or
modules.conf will allow you to keep your existing search path as well as
add a new one. So an update to the utility is not required. Of course,
newer versions of modprobe would have an expanded list of directories
built-in, but that would not conflict with explicitly listing them in a
configuration file.

> I suggest :-
>
> (1) Store all kernel modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel.

How would you deal with the namespace collision issues that arise from
this?

> (2) modutils looks for modules/.../kernel first, then the old names
> (block, ide, usb etc.) then all directories.

'all directories'? That sounds like a potential security issue....

> (3) make modules_install erases everything in modules/.../kernel before
> installing the new modules.

In general, this is probably a good thing. That is, deleting the old
modules in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/* before copying the new ones in place.
I've been bitten a few times where I basically had to do that manually to
prevent depmod -a from complaining.

> That preserves most of the pros. The only one we lose is "Users can
> tell from the directory what type of module they are looking at".
> Given the number of modules that are not currently categorized, I can
> live with that.

I think the better solution to this is to categorize those modules which
are not categorized.

> This method preserves backward compatibility, automatically scans all
> new subdirectories without user space changes and guarantees that the
> installed kernel modules will match your latest compile.

I don't like the idea of automatically scanning all subdirectories when
we're talking about dynamically linking code into the kernel. This just
sounds like a security hole waiting to happen.

Matt Dharm

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net
Senior Engineer, QCP Inc.                        Work: mdharm@qualcomm.com

I think the problem is there's a nut loose on your keyboard. -- Greg to Customer User Friendly, 1/5/1999