Re: Bad pmd in pte_alloc: cfd41af0

From: Cefiar (cefiar1@optushome.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 23:20:53 EST

At 10:46 AM 21/04/00 -0400, Vinny wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a server that has been having some problems
>since moving to 2.2.14smp via RH 6.2.
>I wont bore you with my story but the machine
>only run properly booting from the rescue floppy.
>Today I got the following message:
>
>kernel: Bad pmd in pte_alloc: cfd41af0
>kernel: VM: killing process mysqld
>
>More details:
>I have a SuperMicro P6DBE (Dual Pentium 550)
>and for some reason Linux can only detect 64M
>of RAM. So when I boot from the floppy everything runs right
>but I'm not using the memory that I paid for. This morning
>I rebooted the server using
>linux mem=256M
>and I soon got that error.
>I just want to mention that we have been hving problems
>with kernel crashes and "not synching" errors from
>kswapper, swapper and slocate before using the floppy.

Just out of interest, have you tried it using lower settings for the mem=
option? You could have options in the BIOS turned on that actually take
some of your available memory away from your main memory pool. Some
on-board video cards use the main memory pool for their ram, and settings
such as "System BIOS Shadow", "Video BIOS Shadow" and the "XX000-XXFFF
Shadow" options in your BIOS setup all detract memory from the main memory
pool of the machine.

At boot, check the final value of the ram count and insert that value into
your mem= option. usually this option is in Kilobytes, but don't worry,
just add a K instead of M on the end and the kernel will understand.

I'd hazard a guess that this is what is wrong, but YMMV.

--
  | http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar1@optushome.com.au |