Re: Device Naming, was: Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Konrad Rosenbaum (htw6966@htw-dresden.de)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 04:46:29 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
> > I don't care what the names are. What I do want is a name which always
> > is the same mouse, period.
>
> How can you if there is nothing that uniquely identifies the mouse itself?

What about /etc/conf.modules? Yet it is used whenever a major/minor is
openened but no driver is present. Why not using it whenever a filename
on /dev is opened but not present?

#traditional SCSI-Disk-Names:
alias dev/sd sd.o
#my personal SCSI-Disk-Namespace:
alias dev/scsi-disk dev-sd
post-install dev-sd "ln /dev/sd /dev/scsi-disk"

Yet I didn't ever hack kernel drivers, but that's the way it would seem
most intuitive for me as an admin.

        Konrad