Re: patch for mmap MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED

From: Kanoj Sarcar (kanoj@google.engr.sgi.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 11:29:53 EST

> Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I think in both cases, for MAP_SHARED, it should show a shmfs file
> > name if possible (i.e. if it's mounted).
>
> That's probably true.

I have reservations about this: already, if you see /dev/zero shared
via /proc/pid/maps, you are not sure whether it was via MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED
or mmap of /dev/zero. If you were to replace the /dev/zero name with a
shmfs name, the third alternative would be a shmat. I am not sure how
much this information is relevant to someone doing /proc/pid/maps, against
how much information they can get by opening the file (specially since
private MAP_ANON or private /dev/zero does not provide a similar facility).

The other thing is, the existance of the data structures probably work a
little differently for MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED and /dev/zero compared to shm.

Kanoj