Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Stephen Harris (sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 12:20:13 EST

david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us) wrote:
: Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

: > This idea that /dev should be a "database" is not a traditional Unix
: > view,

: I disagree, but I've only been using Unix for 22 years.

Well, I've only been doing it for 13 years, but...

Traditionally, Unix has had entries in /dev for devices that don't exist
on your system (eg for disks or tapes that you don't have, or where some
admin - and we've all done it! - has mis-typed the tape device and created
a 30Mb file in /dev) and may potentially be missing entries for hardware you
do have (eg hardware just added, needing a MAKEDEV, or older unused hardware
that you can't be bothered to make entries for).

Under no circumstance can /dev have historically be considered as
representative of devices on your system. It has merely been a central
access point to the devices. As such, it's not a database.

--
                                 Stephen Harris
                 sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/