strange fs corruption

From: Giuliano Pochini (pochini@denise.shiny.it)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 06:44:11 EST

I found a corrupted file in one of my magneto-optical disks. This
is not the first time it happens. I had the same problem with another disk
some time ago. This is the message I wrote but never sent to the list:

"2 times in a week, argh! The first time 3 files were corrupted. I was
searching some stuff in my old archives and I found a .lha file was partially
junked. Then I copied some large files from the same partition to /dev/null to
flush the buffers and when I tested that file again it was ok. The same
occurred about 2 hours lates with a 2 pics (I lost one of them). Yearstday I
found the root dir (argh!) of the same device was corrupted. I turned off the
device (it's external) to prevent damaged data be written on the disk,
unmounted
it, turned on again and remounted. I didn't get the "not cleanly unmounted..."
msg. This time the disk content was ok (I checked all the files).
Very strange and scary thing :-((
The device is a 640MB m/o drive in an external box with SCSI interface. I have
this drive for a year and I never experienced such problems before. I'm using
kernel 2.2.13 w/ no-swapout patch and a ppc box."

Then I backed up all that stuff on the HD, mke2fs the disk, and I copied back
all to the MO disk. I never had the same problem again on that disk.

In both cases I had a crash one day before or so, and I had to e2fsck the
disks
and no errors was found. I never had similar problems with the hard disk.
Perhaps there is a well hidden bug somewhere in the FS code or in e2fsck which
comes up when the disk have a block size != 512 (the MO drive has 2048).
I'm running 2.2.14 now.

Bye.