Re: /proc/net/arp silliness

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 13:31:15 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > beforehand, I chose to maintain that formatting, after all, if it were for
> > program uses, we'd simply stuff it in binary format which would be much
> > faster and easier for the programmer.
>
> Alas. Seems, we are alone is this opinion. I sign under this. 8)
>
> > So I don't think my effort has been for uglification of the text, I had a
> > typo. ;) In the end, the new /proc/net/arp looks slightly better.
>
> Appearance of /proc/net/arp does _not_ bother me AT ALL. I never look into it.
>
> Appearance of arp.c really bothers me. I look into it every day.
>
> Alexey

Ok. Let's discuss. Here is the code that was added:

         {
            char tbuf[16];
            sprintf(tbuf, "%u.%u.%u.%u", NIPQUAD(*(u32*)n->primary_key));
         }

v.s. in_ntoa2 which is(was) used three times in all of net/*

in_ntoa() is not used at all. If we are going to be consistent, let's choose a
single method for string and number management in this file, i.e. the hex buffer
a few lines above.

To function or not to function, that is the question.

-d