Kernel profiling problems...

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman (lars@larsshack.org)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 16:27:23 EST

Howdy,

I was hoping someone here has worked with the kernel profiling patches
from SGI. I haven't had any luck getting them to work and could use some
pointers.

The latest patches are against kernel 2.3.99pre2; they apply cleanly, but
the resulting kernel doesn't build. Instead, I get the following error:

  shm.c:142: 'THIS_MODULE' undeclared here (not in a function)
  shm.c:142: initializer element is not a constant

Originally, I applied these patches to 2.3.99pre5, but ran into the
following error when trying to build the kernel:

  sched.c: In function 'schedule':
  sched.c:593: Invalid 'asm' statement:
  sched.c:593: fixed or forbidden register 6 (bp) was spilled for class GENERAL_REGS.

As far as I can tell, the SGI patch modified neither sched.c nor any of the
files it includes -- if I diff the preprocessed output of the two files,
they appear to be substantially the same.

There are also patches against 2.3.49 which I have applied against 2.3.51.
In this situation, they apply cleanly, and the kernel builds, but the
user-space tool ('kernprof') gives the following error:

  $ kernprof -d time -f 1000 -t pc -b
  kernprof: kernel does not support PC sampling mode.

(where the message varies for all values of -t).

In all cases, the following values are defined in the kernel configuration:

  CONFIG_PROFILING=y
  CONFIG_PROF_FRAME_PTR=y
  CONFIG_MCOUNT=y

And with 2.3.51 running, there are entries in /proc/profile.

Help?

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/