KA7 (VIA KX133) and ES1371 freezes

From: Nathan Thompson (nate@thebog.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 14:54:15 EST

Hello,

I'm having a problem getting sound setup on a new Athlon system.

Abit KA7 (VIA KX133 chipset)
 Award BIOS
Athlon 700MHz
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (es1371)
S3 Trio/3D AGP card

Debian Potato
Kernel version 2.2.15pre19
 ide.2.2.15-17.20000405 applied
sound drivers: either kernel or ALSA

I can enter 'cat soundfile > /dev/dsp' or I can play an audio CD
and have no problems, but using esound or mpg123 (without esound) causes
a high-pitched squeal and total console lock (no mouse, keyboard LEDs,
etc.). However, if I ping the machine the squeal stops and I get
control of the machine again. Also, I can play an audio CD with no
problems. I have not run any tests outside of X.

Can anyone give me some pointers of things to try?

Thanks,

Nate