Re: IO scheduling problem in 2.3.99-pre6

From: Shane Shrybman (shrybman@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 14:44:52 EST

Hi Rik,

Rik van Riel wrote:

> This is very useful information. Due to the lack of a big test
> machine and the availability of many alternative ways of coding
> the beast, I have mostly tested "real" workloads.
>
> I'll try to fix the bonnie thing ASAP...
>
> regards,
>
> Rik

Since it was useful to you I tried another "unreal" workload :)). I
attempted
to play 9 .mov flix simultaneously using xanim. The combined size of the
videos
is less than 20MB. I used the '+b' option of xanim so that all files
would be
sucked into buffer before playing. I am also using XFree4.0 if that is
of any
importance. I have put the vmstat log at the same spot as before:
http://zeke.yi.org/linux/2.3.99p6.7-rvr4/

kswapd was not nearly as much of a 'hog' during these tests but, still
seemed
too greedy in its cpu consumption. The swapping behaviour seemed very
strange
to me. Maybe you could comment on it?

BTW: This "unreal" workload is not a problem with 2.2 or pre ~99
kernels.

Take it easy,
Shane