Re: "movb" for spin-unlock

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 16:30:49 EST

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Gérard Roudier wrote:

> This is true on paper, unfortunately this is not so simple, given all
> existing bridge implementations and CPU/cache architecture optimizations
> to make a PCI device driver work reliably using memory mapped IOs.
>
> PCI specs 2.1 have detailed PCI ordering rules and only guys that were
> actually aware of PCI ordering rules have been able to provide and
> maintain reliable drivers that use memory mapped IOs.
>
> AFAICT, what I know about PCI device drivers under Linux and FreeBSD let
> me think that the list of such PCI devices drivers (using reliably MMIO)
> is very short. Obviously, le drivers I maintain use memory mapped IOs.

So you can obviously enlighten us with your knowledge and
understanding in these rules.

Most convinient way would be a set of functions (arch independant
or one set for each arch) to achieve this.

Many thanks.

Also in the name of all PCI driver writers that would like to use
memory mapped IOs but are too stupid to understand the spec or to
poor to buy it.

It's really nice that you provide general solutions and features
as a piece of code instead of joking and jerking about others.

Thankful Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
Feel the power of the penguin - run linux@your.pc