Re: devfs persistence

From: Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 13:00:22 EST

> Peter Svensson writes:
> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > > I see no reason we can't have /dev/scsi/identifiers/ as well.
> >
> > And even for disks it makes sense. You want to mke2fs (or your
> > filesystem of choise) the correct physical disk. You cannot really
> > depend on the label in that situation, but a WWN sounds like just
> > what is needed.
>
> Or just rely on host,bus,target,lun names. It's fair enough to assume
> that devices aren't being replugged while you're in the middle of
> typing "mke2fs"!

No, it's not. LIPs can happen any time, people can pull drive carrires in an
Andataco SCSI box at any time. But I believe it would be fair for the system
to demand that while it has a device open either the address doesn't change
(thus requiring virtual addressing at some level) or you get an I/O error back
while trying to get to it when it changed.

-matt