Re: devfs persistence

From: Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 13:16:03 EST

> > No, it's not. LIPs can happen any time, people can pull drive
> > carrires in an Andataco SCSI box at any time. But I believe it would
> > be fair for the system to demand that while it has a device open
> > either the address doesn't change (thus requiring virtual addressing
> > at some level) or you get an I/O error back while trying to get to
> > it when it changed.
>
> It may be theoretically possible, but it's not *sane*. If I can't be
> sure of what's plugged into the system while I'm making labels (or
> just scanning for labels!), then I can't work effectively.
>
> Even if I knew the serial number on the platter, and could address by
> that, I can't be sure someone won't unhook the drive just as I hit
> return on "mke2fs". At some point you have to draw the line and say
> "I'm configuring: keep your filthy hands off the vaults!".

This is hard to manage in a SAN- you've got possibly several thousand disks
visible. Their position and routes to them could change since Bob over in the
3rd street office just plugged in a new disk box. Tsk.

This is why I stand by what I said- the driver (or some midlayer) has got to
either assure a address constant to the app or fs layer while the system is
running or send back an I/O error if it can't.

-matt