Re: [RFC] Getting rid of useless daemons

From: Simon Richter (Simon.Richter@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 00:15:23 EST

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:

> acpid (as far as I know at least) is like apmd but also parses the
> ACPI tables (easy to do within a boot script, at the same spot acpid
> would be loaded).

acpid does more than table parsing, so it cannot be easily replaced by a
"boot script". Most of its functionality (table parsing, AML code
execution) will move into the kernel later on, as future systems will
depend on that for hardware enumeration, but for now having a separate
daemon eases development.

I'm currently moving the rest of acpid's functionality, mainly system
policy decisions, into a separate daemon, which will be comparable to
apmd.

The power management policy daemons (apmd and the soon-to-come acpipold)
are not part of the kernel in my opinion, since the subsystem will work
without this daemon, so I'm against including them in the kernel.

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1